Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society






        I am pretty out of the loop when it comes to reading bestsellers, and I know that I'm a couple years behind on this one, but I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrrows.
            
           I really enjoyed the writing style, which takes the form of letters, as it leads to charming glimpses into each of the characters personalities. The story takes place in 1946 England and Guernsey as a young writer begins corresponding to local Guernsey residents who formed an impromptu literary society while living under German Occupation. The tales of life during the Occupation are harrowing and tragic, but the love for life and kindness of the Guernsey characters shines through in their endearing letters. 
           
          I loved how all the characters loved books and, of course, writing letters. I've always loved the idea of letters as the main form of communication since I was a little girl. The romance of narrating your own life to others through your own writing in so lost in a world of crude facebook statuses.

         Although I felt that the book was somewhat simple, it still told a charming story through its sweet, and sometimes tragic, letters. A bestselling novel which brings joy to the reader without becoming literary junk food is rare, so this one is worthy of a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Imagine we're having a coffee together and let me know what you think --
I love comments almost as much as coffee!

(And please check to make sure your email address is connected to your profile, I'd love to email you a reply.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...